Mittwoch, 30. Jänner 2008

Gastkommentar von Kinsha

Ich bin nicht die Einzige, die bloggt. Kinsha aus Australien, mein vielleicht wichtigster Gefährte hier, lässt auf seiner facebook-Seite regelmäßig seine Freunde wissen, wie es ihm so im kalten Amerika auf der anderen Seite der Welt geht. Seine letzte Notiz hat mir so gut gefallen, dass ich mir die Erlaubnis geholt habe, sie als Gastkommentar auf meinem blog zu veröffentlichen. Sie enthält allerlei witzige Beobachtungen zu Cornell und dem Cornellian way of life und vielleicht ist sie auch für euch interessant. Schließlich sehen vier exchange student Augen mehr als meine zwei, daher:
Danke Kinsha!

PS: Einen besonders interessanten Absatz über allerlei wundersame Funktionen meines Studentenausweises, von denen ich sowieso auch einmal schreiben wollte, werde ich zusätzlich noch in einem separaten Eintrag bringen und auch übersetzen. Aber jetzt zu Kinshas blog:

Week 1 at Cornell
Things have gotten off to a rocky start in terms of the academics. I swear things here are about 50 times harder. I have never had to do so much damm reading in my life, and wiki has failed in my efforts to research about model organisms.

If anyone is willing to pay for the postage costs for all of past texts and notes from the last 2 years it would be greatly appreciated - lol.

Nothing that interesting has happened throughout the week, so I'm just going to describe campus, and hopefully if I have enough time later this week and the weather isn't shit like it usually is, I'll take some photos and put it up.

Well I'm on West Campus, and there are 3 houses that hosts around 300 people in each house. There's Carl Becker House (thats the one that I'm in), Alice Cook House and Hans Bethe House. There are 2 wings in my house, a sandstone component to Alice Cook and I don't really know much about Hans Bethe - just that it was opened about 6 months ago. Also there are 4 or 5 floors in the houses, just depending on which wing you are on.

In each of these houses there's the in house dining hall which any of the West Campus students can go to, and the laundry and we have in-house professors, as well as learning opportunities run by the GRF's.

At the moment I'm in the house computer labs (there is some random here just sleeping 2 computers away from me), i swear just go upstairs and go to bed...

Anyways we have breakfast starting at a time that I don't actually know during the weekdays and finishes at 10:30. I know this because Nina, who lives in the female suite opposite mean once had to have some random lunch stuff like hamburgers for breakfast...

The lunch food gets put out at 10:30, and then the dining room closes at 2. Then for dinner, its from 5-8. However during the weekends its a brunch from 10:30-2. Though yesterday they started putting up signs about continental breakfast running from 8:30 - 10 on Saturdays. Also every Wednesday evening they have special House dinner, so this coming Wednesday its Mexican night so I'm quite excited about that.

Also we have the commmunal pantry right next to the dining hall, where the put like the biscuits/muffins/cakes that wasn't eaten at dessert, into the pantry. It was lucky one random afternoon, I heard someone saying the code to themselves while entering it - we were meant to get an E-mail about it that never eventuated...

Also my Cornell ID card is kind of my life here on campus. It does my laundry, my food in house and in Central Campus, gives me free bus rides to the mall and downtown/commons, gets me into parties, gets me into the elevator, gets me into my house, and kind of acts as a credit card if i am buying something from The Cornell Store (can get my books as well as anything with Cornell on it).

Also walking upto class in the mornings is a total killer, because of "The Slope", swear its there just to kill people before they actually get to class.

Somethings that you might like to know about Cornell/America that I've found out by mistake here:

1. Cornell has its own dairy bar, meaning that it makes its own ice-cream and milk.

2. Cornell has its own chickens for the Ag. students. Dunno if we eat them or whatever when they die.

3. I swear the doors here have the push open handles at the wrong end of the door, meaning that I tend to try to open doors at their hinges...

4. Cornell has its ownn ice-rink and bowling alleys.

5. They don't know what sultanas are.

6. They train people to play the chimes for the chime concerts, on top of the clocktower.

7. Cornell has 2 cinemas.

8. Has a medical campus in Qatar and in NYC.

9. Cornell has a suicide rate of about 2 a year - heard some chick on the bus say it has actually improved over the years....

10. Cornell has plantations - so like ponds and plants and stuff like that.

11. Operates like an observatory in Puerto Rico.

12. Has a converted aircraft hanger on campus.

13. Has a hotel on campus, for the Hotelies (Hotel and Management Students)

14. Has a football field, that everyone who watches American movies can associate with.

15. Has the student newspaper that comes out everyday.

Oh and I went out to another party last night, you should be able to check out the photos. Also thanks to Marija and Magdalena for somehow getting me home last night without having to stop me getting run over or plunging into the gorges accidentally. Oh and about that party more beer-pong was played, and somehow the more that I drunk the better I seemed to be playing..... Oh and if you work on the party rule that if you knock over the cup accidentally, while getting it in, its a shot. Unfortunetly for me I knocked about 4 cups over - thus 4 shots of vodka for me..... So I was feeling quite sorry for myself at about 3 this morning when I had stumbled onto my floor. Lets just say it's something i never want to experience ever again.

Anyways more on classes, the first lectures i have had for the only science lecture course i am taking, has been based on research papers. So having to get the brain going is totally hard, and one whole lecture that he was talking about is based on a hypothesis - so whatever the dude was telling us about is not in some textbook. So I now know why the Ivy Leagues are meant to be the hardest universities in the world.

Hope you guys are all well and having what is sure to be a Australia Day long weekend!

Kinsha.

Keine Kommentare: